Friday, November 23, 2007

Apologetics and a Seven Year Old

Last night I had an intriguing conversation with a Christian. He’s a fairly new Christian; he accepted Christ into his life about two years ago.
But now he is questioning his faith, wondering about God and feeling alone. He asked me many questions which I answered truthfully and without hesitation.
He asked me how I knew for sure that there is only one true God. I answered drawing from Biblical history, prophesy, creation, personal experience, and the experience of others.
He asked me why other people choose other religions. I told him about the cultural differences, historical differences, political pressure, and of course the evil that entices us in our world.
He asked me what to do when he felt God was not with him. I told him to pray, listen, talk to other believers, read the Bible and I told him about Jesus’ thoughts on the subject.
It was a long conversation covering questions that most adults still struggle with. I was amazed at the level of interest, questioning, and introspection, particularly because he is only seven.
At the end of the night, he curled up and went to sleep telling me that his head was full.
I was able to entice one more fact into his mind before he drifted away: I assured him that I would never lie to him. I told him that I would always tell him the absolute truth about God and Jesus. He nodded and smiled and kissed me goodnight.
I was exhausted. I’ve never experienced a crash course in apologetics with my children; I never thought the appropriate time would present itself.
Instead, I decided years ago to whittle away at the elements of Christianity slowly infusing their lives with the truth of Jesus Christ at a relaxed and age appropriate pace. We talk about God often, teach them in Sunday school, approach every problem and daily hurdle from a Christian worldview, and pray together constantly.
Yet still, my son wonders and questions just like an adult.
He is saddened by friends who do not accept Jesus.
He is bothered by messages from the world that there is no God.
He is stumped by constant images of evolution and the origins of mankind.
He questions his religious decisions and feels the sting of failure when he sins.
These are all normal occurrences, I believe, given the world we live in and our current culture.
Yet it bothers me that at seven he is so affected. I want him to enjoy a carefree childhood without sorrow and sadness, yet I know that this is not completely possible.
I tried to understand why I was so shaken by the experience of teaching apologetics to my son. When I woke this morning I realized it bothered me because it crystallized the importance of teaching a child about God when they are young.
By seven my child’s worldview and belief in a God may not be set in stone, but it is certainly hardening fast. He has definite opinions and curiosity on the subject, questions and wonders about the “rightness” of his religion.
To wait until a child is older, more cognitively developed, or wiser I believe could be a fatal mistake.
Even in the preschool years the message that God is real, he created everything (including you,) and he loves you must permeate the lives of our children.
Sadly, these years are often neglected by churches as “too early” to begin this education.
A friend of my son’s, at six years old, announced that everything is God, including the trees, the air, and himself. That is what he learned at his church. He was confident that this was the absolute truth.
Now to undo the seeds that his church, family, and life have firmly planted in the soil of his mind will be quite an extraordinary accomplishment.
I find that disturbing, and challenging, at the same time.
Exactly how do we, as a church body, change the mind of a six year old without creating dissention regarding our blatant indoctrination? Or is indoctrination wrong? Jesus told us to tell others about him. He instructed his disciples to make “fishers of men.” But today it is not that easy with the politically correct dance we play with our non-Christian friends, family, and acquaintances.
Our society relishes its individuality and acceptance of all cultures and beliefs. For my son to tell his friend that he is wrong is frowned upon, perhaps not by me, but quite certainly by his family and church.
How then do we even approach this battle, because it is a battleground?
I think it is through love. God tells us that we will be known for our love, not by our persuasive abilities or coercion, as some would call our message, but by our love.
I told my son, then, to simply love his friend. I told him to enjoy being with his friend and have to fun together. I told him that God is a big God who will do the work, if he spends his time loving his friend.
I know I’m right, I know God is right. I know that Jesus Christ is the absolute truth in our world. I just pray that my son will know that too.

No comments: