Friday, November 23, 2007

The Way God Works

Get out of God’s Way!

I love to sing; I always have. As a child I sang in screams from our back porch. I held concerts in the bathtub for my collected toys and dolls.
I performed in the living room for my family and sang into tape recorders to judge my talents.
By the time I got into junior high school my mother apparently had decided that I should be in “formal training” in the junior high choir class. It was a good class which taught me the basics of music and singing, but in reality the teacher was a band professional, not a singer, and they had no one to do the job, so she persisted.
There was another good singer in my choir class. I soon learned that her voice was “exceptional” and mature. She received all the solos and special appearances, I was relegated to the Alto section and stayed there- forever.
By the time I went to high school I was a pretty confident singer. I sang at church, in talent shows, and even did a fair rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at a dance competition (to kick off the official festivities.)
My other talents, of acting, writing, leading, and teaching were never realized nor encouraged as a child or teenager.
Indeed well into my college years I really believed my one true talent remained as a singer. I dreamed of being on a worship team, writing and producing music with other talented musicians, and making my mark in that arena.
I was wrong.
Of course I had hints along the way. I never really developed as a singer. It was a lot of work without gratification. Not that I’m afraid of work, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I should.
And then there was the emotional factor. It is difficult for me to make through a really good worship rendition of Amazing Grace without crying. In fact, music is a powerful element in my life that moves me constantly, but how could I sing if I was crying all the time? Fighting back tears when listening to good music is almost a daily ordeal for me!
Then one day I had performed on a small Children’s cd for our church, and to my horror, granted I had a terrible cold when it was taped, I sounded ridiculous. Well, not completely absurd, my kids enjoyed it, but really, it wasn’t pretty. I was embarrassed and ashamed as the life long belief that I could sing was dashed. What was my mother thinking encouraging me all these years? What had I missed by focusing exclusively on singing? Why hadn’t I tried other arenas like art? Or writing? Or leadership?
I was so upset on that day of realization that I raked a pile of gravel for two hours to get it out of my system.
Since then this fact has burned me, and I still struggle with its acceptance, but I’m happy to say that I have accepted the fact that I like to sing, but I’m not a singer.
God gives each one of us talents. He designed our talents for our specific lives, culture, time and place. He wove your talents into you with a particular purpose, and it is your job to get out of his way and let him lead you down the path that you belong.
It is hard getting out of God’s way. It is hard trusting that he knows you so well that he didn’t give you talents and gifts that you will not enjoy. He gave you brilliance in arenas that he knows will move you, enthrall you, embrace you, inspire you, and inspire others. Your talents are so special that they can’t be discovered by anyone but you, and only under the tutelage of God himself.
This is not a lecture on listening to God, this is encouragement that you were designed and your talents are there, you just have to find them.
Easy enough, you say, I know what I’m good at, where I excel. I’ve figured that out!
But have you really? Finding your gifts is more than taking inventory of your skills. You may be wonderful with money management, but do you enjoy it? You may be a leader in your community because you can organize, but does this really lift you spiritually? Is it spiritually gratifying, or is it something you’ve simply mastered through education, experience, or both?
When I’m talking about gifts I’m talking about those desires that God has imprinted in your DNA.
For example, I’m a great teacher, I enjoy it, it is gratifying, but what I’m gifted in is the ability to create and implement ideas for God. I can conceptualize and visualize ideas to further his kingdom. What I had to learn was that God had bigger plans for me than my personal, emotional desires or beliefs.
For example, I know talented singers and composers. When I watch them work I am amazed. They are lifted to someplace holy with God, like a communion. I can see it in their faces, they are walking hand in hand with God through the talent he gave them.
I also know singers like myself, they enjoy the process, but it is not a calling.
I know really good teachers. These individuals have teaching imprinted in their DNA. They are obsessed with the art and craft of teaching, with student achievement and improvement.
I’m interested in teaching, I enjoy the process, but I’m not lifted spiritually when I teach (although I’m a skilled teacher!) What elevates me is creating effective systems in learning. I thrive on results, clarity, and encouraging others to become the best teachers alive! When I’m doing that I’m really focused, intense, invigorated, and, might I dare say, inspired by God himself. It’s completely different than anything I’ve every tried.
If I had learned the lesson of getting out of God’s way and letting him work in my life, then perhaps I could have achieved much more by now.
Getting out of God’s way is a tricky business of trusting. I think about this analogically and visualize God and me struggling to be the leader on a long path that is winding through hills and valleys. When I decide that I’m the leader of my life, then I push him back to second place. He has to follow along as my life unfolds in my own direction. Although he is always ready to put me back on track, he’s making adjustments and understanding my struggles, I would be so much better off of I would just get out of his way and let him lead me where I should go.
For example, long ago I should have admitted and accepted that I was nothing more than an adequate singer, yet gifted tremendously in other arenas.
In retrospect I can see clearly my gifts and how I’ve bumbled along the path trying to take the lead. I have ignored the instruction and prodding that God has given me in regards to my own strengths and have pushed and pursued avenues that yielded only mediocre results.
So, how do you find your own strengths?
How do you know if what you are doing is God directed or self desired?
I could suggest the predictable route- pray, study, listen, act, and discover, these are all good ideas and should be pursued, but chances are it isn’t that easy.
God does not (always) hit you over the head one day with a list of gifts. It would be simple if he did.
Instead I believe it is trial and trial and trial (there are no errors in trying.)
When I was supervising student teachers I found that they often did not understand where they were really truly effective. They might initially believe that a second grade classroom was the perfect spot for them, but once they started teaching they would be unhappy. This was usually solved by changing the grade level. Teachers, depending on their personalities, are uniquely suited towards different grade levels, the maturity and challenges of their students often meshing (or not meshing) with their style. Finding the grade level that suits them is the first step towards success. However, until they stepped in front of kids and started interacting, it was useless to predict where they would be effective. I once told a third grade teacher that she belonged in a junior high because of her quick and sharp wit and humor. She was also too tense and brazen for younger children but still wanted a personal connection with the kids. She immediately switched into a 8th grade classroom and was wildly successful. She still teaches there today and is highly regarded as a one of the top special education teachers in her district. However, if she had never worked in the third grade classroom, she would not understand her true talents.
It is quite like that when you are trying to identify your strengths.
It is good to try as many different ideas as possible, and when you hit upon the one (or two, or three, or four) that are your gifts, you’ll know it.
This was once described to be as a euphoric experience, where God is right there with you whispering, “See, this is what I had planned all along!” Excitement and exhilaration, contentment and exhaustion are all combined together to create a fulfillment for you.
I asked some friends if they had ever had a moment like this. It took them a long time to find it, but with prodding one eventually admitted that he had this feeling while writing a small group study from a book that had personal inspired him. He termed it as an “obsession for completion.”
His wife said that her “best day” was when she finished a very large decorating project and was able to see the beauty in the space. She said she felt truly peaceful.
Yet another told me that he feels closest to God when he is fixing broken things, like furniture, cars, appliances. His sense of time slips away and he is in a spiritual space with God.
Another, a teacher I know, told me that she is euphoric when working on business plans, funny that she is a teacher instead (and a really good one at that!)
I guess the point is that each one of us is unique, created by God for his purposes, and if we are willing to let him take the lead instead of fighting for our own desires, then he can use us for his ultimate purpose and our ultimate fulfillment.
I can’t leave this subject without mentioning my daughter. At six she loves horses, ballet, singing, drawing, math and dolls. She’s pretty typical and as precious as can be. As her mom I encourage her in every activity that she’s involved in. I help her diversify her interests to help her find her true calling.
This is tough, because she’s easy going and loves everything, but last spring she was waiting back stage to perform in her dance studios bi-annual recital (it is really a huge and impressive production.)
I, of course, was helping her group and waiting nervously with her.
I looked down to make sure she was mentally ready to perform and found my six year old calm, cool, and reserved. She watched the others dancers intently. While the other dancers squirmed she seemed to be lost in thought and contemplation.
“Are you nervous?” I asked her.
She gave me a quizzical look.
“Are you excited?” I then asked her.
Her whole face lit up with such vibrancy that I was started.
“Mom, I am so happy, I feel like I can fly right now! I want this feeling to stay forever!” she said to me just as we needed to move them into position to go onstage. Tears welled in my eyes. This was something I needed to remember. This was empowering to her, and although she may never be a world class dancer or even pursue it to her adulthood, this is a gift to her that she should pursue. God will meet her there and take her where he wants her to go.
Just as I hope for my daughter, I hope you will take the chances to find, accept and pursue you gifts. The ones that God himself has created in you and for you.

No comments: